Toll-free numbers were historically available for free without any registration requirements. To prevent spam and abuses, US carriers now demand that new numbers be officially assigned before they can ring for incoming calls. The carriers also require all existing toll-free numbers to be registered by September 30, 2022. The carriers will block SMS messages from unregistered toll-free numbers after this date.
What do you need to know about registering Toll-Free Numbers?
Toll-free number registration is a great way to sustain your messaging while you wait for your A2P 10DLC brand/campaign approval.
Toll-Free Number registration ensures the Toll-Free messaging channel aligns with 10 DLC channels. These channels review all services, as well as the sending brand and the type of traffic they deliver, to ensure it is known, documented, and verified.
The messaging industry is changing the message volumes that can be sent over Restricted (previously called “unverified”) and Pending (submitted for verification) Toll-Free numbers. Increased message filtering will also occur in addition to the new limits applying to both Restricted and Pending. No further action is needed if you’ve already verified your Toll-Free numbers.
Effective April 1, 2023, our telephone partner will apply the following industry-wide thresholds for messaging sent over Restricted and Pending Toll-Free numbers:
Daily limit: 500 message segments
Weekly limit: 1,000 message segments
Monthly limit: 2,000 message segments
Daily limit: 2,000 message segments
Weekly limit: 6,000 message segments
Monthly limit: 10,000 message segments
Registration is still required for all Toll-Free numbers when sending to Canada.
In the near future, the verification process will need to be completed before sending any traffic to a toll-free number. The official date will be shared in the coming weeks; however, please start to prepare and plan for this change in your onboarding processes.
As of April 1, 2023, messages sent via Toll-Free numbers that have not been Verified will be held to the messaging limits referenced above. They’ll be blocked with a 30032 error code if they exceed the limits. Using additional Toll-Free numbers (snowshoeing) to exceed these limits isn’t allowed and will result in the same block and error code.
Why is this happening?
These new daily, weekly, and monthly messaging limits let you send messages while helping to bring your highest volume senders into compliance.
How to buy toll-free numbers?
Check out How to buy a toll free number?
What do you need to do?
If you have unverified Toll-Free numbers that send messaging traffic over the new limits, please submit these numbers for verification. If you have a large inventory of numbers, please submit Toll-Free numbers that send the most volume first.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Go to the Manage Numbers page (only visible for agency admins and users) Keep in mind you’ll experience verification delays if you omit any information.
- Click on Phone Numbers
- Click on Number Info
- Click on Start Registration
- Fill out the details here:
- Use Case Description example – We send appointment confirmations, message notifications, and offers for chiropractic adjustments to existing patients or new patients who have opted in to receive SMS notifications. The communications are sent via in-person POS, website forms, or webchat.
- Opt-In Description – End users opt in through a form on the website: https://www.abccompany.com/contact-us, via the website chat widget, and also through our POS system at our office, with consent language similar to that on our website.
- Message Content example- David, it’s Kate from ABC Company. Thanks for opting in to receive SMS notifications. I just saved a time for you on Thursday, June 15, 2023, at 4:00 PM, and I’ll see you then! If anything changes, just let me know. If you need to opt out, reply STOP.
- Opt-In Description – provide the URL Opt-in. The link you attached needs to reflect where customers consent to receive further messages from you.
This is highly important to avoid any rejection from the carrier since they are asking for proof of opt-in. Two examples of the Opt-in here:
Once submitted to the telephony channel, the verification process can take 4-6 weeks to complete. During this time, your Phone Numbers are moved to a ‘pending verification’ state that removes the messaging limits while we review your submission.
- In Review status – no actions is required
Due to the high demand for Toll-Free verification, some requests can take longer than the average given. We are working diligently to minimize the number of requests that are delayed. We kindly ask for your patience as we work through the many requests.
In the meantime, Toll-Free Number Registration tickets will stay closed, and we will send you an email once it’s approved.